Thursday, November 25, 2010

National coach Harendra quits

Dejected at India's semifinal defeat to Malaysia in the Asian Games at Guangzhou, National coach Harendra Singh on Tuesday resigned from his post.

Harendra informed Hockey India Secretary Narinder Batra of his decision through an email which was also made available to the media. “I accept the moral responsibility for the debacle at the 16th Asian Games,” Harendra said.

“Keeping in view the dismal performance of the men's hockey team in the semifinal match against Malaysia (on Nov 23, 2010), I tender my resignation as the National coach with immediate effect,” wrote Harendra.

He thanked Hockey India, Union Sports Ministry and the Sports Authority of India for “all the support and encouragement” received during his tenure as the National coach. “I am thankful to all the officials of the said organisations for giving me this wonderful opportunity to serve the country. I thank all my players and the support staff who have stood by me.”

In response to the development, Mr. Batra said, “This is not the time to get emotional and I have asked Harendra to concentrate on the bronze medal match (against Korea). I want the team to be together and the resignation and other issues (Chief Coach Jose Brasa's future with Indian hockey) can wait. We have enough time to discuss them when the team returns.”

No comments:

Post a Comment